Director of Marketing and Communications, Editor of the Northern Kentucky Business Journal, Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, 2013
Developed the strategic direction and executed all marketing and communications materials to promote Chamber products and services, (including Membership, Legislative and Business Products, Events and Program Offerings). Wrote, edited and designed various media materials including a bi-monthly magazine, e-mail marketing, print collateral, social media and public relations.
Smith & Nephew Endoscopy, a Division of Johnson & Johnson, Boston, MA, 2009-10
Contract position to design and edit a 128-page surgical technique guide and equipment catalog. Coordinated the layout, typography, medical illustration, and photography for both print and digital versions (iPhone). The book is consistent with the Smith & Nephew brand utilizing corporate grid systems, corporate identity guidelines, corporate typeface, chart/diagram specifications, and photographic specifications.
Freelance graphic design practice specializing in publications, presentations, marketing communications, and corporate identity.
• Extensive experience developing content and design for books and magazines.
• Researched, wrote and designed annual reports, sales collateral, websites and marketing communications to further clients’ connections with their customers.
• Created packaging, direct mail, broadcast graphics, trade show exhibits and environmental graphics to reinforce client branding and messages.
Client List: Disney, Diebold, Johnson & Johnson, Coca-Cola, Sara Lee/Hillshire Farms, 15 radio/TV stations, publishers, government agencies, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Shriners’ Burns Institute, LasikPlus, The Majors Cup Magazine, utilities, and medical organizations. Graphic, environmental and exhibit design for the U.S. Olympic Sports Medicine Pavilion.
Marketing Communications Director, Tele-Track, Inc., Norcross, GA, 1999
Member of the management team of a national credit bureau. Wrote and designed newsletters, print ads, press releases, brochures, direct mail and trade show exhibits. Supervised ad agencies and printing vendors. Analyzed market trends and developed strategies to address them through a comprehensive multimedia marketing program.
Editor, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 1999
Contract position. Wrote and edited newsletters, brochures, press releases and alumni magazine articles.
Corporate Communications Designer, The Coca-Cola Co., Atlanta, GA, 1999
Contract position. Designed and edited workbooks, diagrams, charts, presentations and media materials used in employee communications and training.
Publisher and Managing Editor, Multifile Publishing Co., Cincinnati, OH, 1995-99
Edited and published monthly newsmagazine focusing on entertainment, interviews and lifestyle information.
• Raised venture capital to start the company. Reached a readership of 25,000 in 18 months. Responsible for financial management, investor relations, public relations, purchasing, distribution and promotions.
• Hired and supervised a staff of four. Established weekly success coaching for all employees.
• Commissioned design, photography and illustration. Designed the whole magazine. Commissioned articles from writers and national syndicates.
• Supervised pre-press and web printing vendors.
• Wrote, designed and maintained magazine website.
Senior Designer & Senior Copywriter, Tischbein Design, Covington, KY 1995-96
Developed marketing communications materials for corporate, media, medical and government clients.
• Developed communications and marketing strategies for campaigns.
• Commissioned printing, design, photography and copy writing from a network of external vendors.
• Wrote and designed ads, annual reports, brochures, newsletters and catalogs.
Creative Director, Design Strategies, Cincinnati, OH, 1993-95
Comprehensive marketing communications agency specializing in content marketing through informational and persuasive materials.
• Developed marketing strategies for print materials. Wrote and designed press releases, annual reports, sales collateral, annual reports, direct mail, brochures and newsletters for a broad spectrum of clients.
• Developed ad campaigns involving promotional events, outdoor advertising, print and radio.
• Developed media solutions ranging from identity programs, ads, publications, packaging, direct mail, video graphics to trade show exhibits using content as a marketing vehicle.
Medical Communications Specialist
University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 1979-83
Biomedical Communications Department. Designed academic slide presentations, information graphics for journal articles, and exhibits for display at medical conferences. Designed print materials for medical and scientific publications. Prepared charts, graphs, and diagrams to illustration research.
Assistant Art Director, Cincinnati Magazine, Cincinnati, OH 1977-1978
(Co-op job while in college.) Designed magazine columns, calendar, special sections and feature articles. Supervised photography, illustration, models, props, web printing and pre-press.
11.0 Community and Philanthropic Activities
• Atlanta Seed Fund: Founding member of a nonprofit seed fund working to fund entrepreneurial startups. The Atlanta market focuses almost exclusively on harvest funding with little support for high-risk ventures. Helped develop a system that is self-supporting after raising the initial investment.
• Cochairman of the Atlanta Toys For Tots Gala for five years. With an annual attendance of 3,500–4,500 people, the semi-formal event is the largest one-day fund-raiser in the nation for the U.S. Marine Corps’ Toys For Tots campaign. Raised $625,000+ in charitable donations and filled 23 semi-trucks with donated toys. Coordinated 200+ volunteers/year. Hosted high-ranking military dignitaries. Coordinated marketing, logistics, hotel, silent auction, food and entertainment.
• Cofounder and Chairman of the Board Emeritus, The Atlanta 200: A nonprofit organization of young professionals who raise money for charity through social events. Quarterly events each raised $20,000-$35,000 and were attended by 2,000-3,500 people.
• Volunteer and designer for Every Woman Works, a nonprofit learning center supporting women who have been affected by homelessness, poverty, addiction, prison, and domestic violence. Donated the design of a corporate identity program, annual reports, promotional materials, and a fundraising cookbook.
• Board Member, Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce in charge of external affairs, community relations, and strategic alliances – Worked successfully with people from diverse backgrounds with conflicting goals. Known for my ability to manage crises, politically challenging situations, and the news media.
• Volunteer for the Atlanta and Cincinnati chapters of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.